Home // SPACE – A


Space Available or Space-A travel is a great program for our active duty, Guard, Reserve, retired and eligible family members. Please understand the Air Mobility Command primary mission is to support our war fighters, meaning movement of Department of Defense cargo and space required (duty) passengers.

Once these requirements are met, available seats will be offered to passengers awaiting transportation. The Space-A program is a privilege of the military mission and is not funded in the DoD budget so travel to your desired location on a particular day cannot be guaranteed.

You must be prepared to possibly wait a few days or arrange alternate transportation. Travel to remote locations is a possibility but lodging and off base transportation is not always available or may be expensive. Please ensure that you have the funds available to cover any unforeseen expenses.

Space Available, Space A seats are normally identified as early as 3-4 hours and as late as 30 minutes prior to departure. Check with the passenger service center for the space available show time for your flight prior to departing the terminal. Be ready for immediate processing and boarding.

Space available (Space A) eligible travelers may not use their privilege for personal gain or in connection with business enterprises or employment. Space A travel may not be used to establish a home or when international or theater restrictions prohibit such travel.

Are you authorized to travel using Space-A?
Determine your travel eligibility and category.

Category I: Emergency travel in connection with serious illness, death, or impending death of a member of the immediate family of the following:
[a] United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD stationed overseas.
[b] Full-time, paid American Red Cross serving United States military overseas.
[c] Uniformed service family members whose sponsors are stationed within the Continental United States (CONUS) and the emergency exists overseas.
[d] Family members of United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD when both sponsor and dependents are stationed overseas at the same location.

Category 2: EML
[a] Sponsors on environmental and morale leave and accompanied family members.

Category 3: Members of the uniformed services in an ordinary or re-enlistment leave status and uniformed services patients on convalescent leave.
[a] Military personnel traveling on permissive temporary duty (TDY) orders for house hunting.
[b] TDY for the purpose of permanent change of station house hunting
[c] Dependents of military members deployed for more than 365 consecutive days.
[d] Bona fide family members (up to age 23 with a valid identification card) of a service member of the uniformed services when accompanied by their sponsor who is in an ordinary leave status within overseas areas between overseas stations and air terminals in the CONUS.
[e] Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD, when in a leave status.

Category 4: Dependents of military members deployed for more than 120 consecutive days.
[a] Unaccompanied family members (18 years or older) traveling on EML orders. Family members under 18 must be accompanied by an adult family member who is traveling EML.
[b] DoD DS teachers or family members (accompanied or unaccompanied) in an EML status during summer break.

Category 5: Unaccompanied Command-sponsored dependents.
[a] Students whose sponsor is stationed in Alaska or Hawaii.
[b] Students enrolled in a trade school in the CONUS when the sponsor is stationed overseas.
[c] Military personnel traveling on permissive TDY orders for other than house hunting.

Category 6: National Guard/Reserve components/members who are on the Active Status List.
[a] Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.
[b] Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor.

Where do you want to depart from and where do you want to go? Check common destinations offered at the Air Mobility Command website http://www.amc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110126-037.swf

Do you have all your travel documentation (leave paperwork, valid Uniformed Services ID, visa, passport)?
Military travelers returning to the United States must have Identification Card and travel orders on their person upon arrival into the USA and when attempting to clear U.S. Customs.

How to register for Space-A travel:
[a] In person at the Air Mobility Command Passenger Terminal by speaking directly with a passenger service agent
[b] Fax or postal mail your request to the passenger terminal
[c] E-mail or use the Web based sign up on the AMC Travel web site. Keep a copy of the email for your records.

CURRENT FLIGHT SCHEDULES and CHECK-IN procedures may best be viewed on the US Air Force Air Mobility Command travel website

Thanks and have a nice day.
Email RetiredMilitaryRelocation@yahoo.com
Telephone  9AM-6:30PM CST 09:00-18:30
© RetiredMilitaryRelocation.com 2009-2013